Scroll Top

Baer Is Ready To Help Seniors File For Property Tax Rebates

HACKENSACK – Senator Baer announced today that his district office will be available to help seniors and disabled residents who are required to file applications in order to receive the FAIR property tax rebate this year.

“There has been an enormous amount of confusion about which residents can receive property tax rebates and what they need to do to receive a check,” said Senator Baer, D-Bergen. “The new regulations determined that our seniors and disabled residents are eligible for New Jersey’s FAIR property tax rebates but they need to apply. My district office staff is ready to help my constituents with the process of filing for their rebates.

According to Senator Baer, “So many of our residents rely so much on their rebate checks, and this year those on fixed incomes will receive a check, to help offset rising property taxes.”

Senator Baer noted that to receive the a rebate seniors and disabled residents must apply to the Department of Treasury by phone, or over the Internet.

Applications for the FAIR rebate, a new State program offered in lieu of the NJ SAVER and Homestead property tax rebates, were mailed out between April 26 and May 3 by the Department of Treasury, and are due back by June 1, 2005. According to the Treasury Department, the checks will arrive in the mail in early to mid-August, the same time the Homestead rebate checks would have traditionally been sent out to property taxpayers.

Senator Baer stated that due to the merging of the two property tax relief programs, seniors and disabled residents must file an application to be eligible for relief this year, and given the fact that these residents did not have to file applications for eligibility in the Homestead rebate program in previous years, there may be confusion among residents as to the application process.

To be eligible for the FAIR rebate, seniors and disabled New Jerseyans must have owned and occupied a home in New Jersey as their primary residence since October 1, 2004. They must also have a gross income under the threshold of $200,000 and their home must be subject to local property taxes.

Applications can be filed online at, of by phone at (877) 658-2972. State residents can call (888) 238-1233 to ask questions of the State Department of Treasury, or if they would like assistance from the Senator Baer’s district office, they can call (201) 343-3333.

The Senator’s office is located at 125 State St. in Hackensack.