TRENTON – A measure sponsored by Senator Joseph Coniglio that would require restaurants to use caution when serving peanut products was approved today by the Senate.
“Peanut allergies affect over three million people, most of whom are children,” said Senator Coniglio, D-Bergen, whose four-year-old grandson was born with a peanut allergy. “This measure is absolutely necessary to help ensure that allergic patrons are able to enjoy eating in restaurants, without living in fear of unknowingly being exposed to peanut products.”
Senator Coniglio’s measure, S-1105, would direct the Commissioner of Health and Senior Services to compile a fact sheet providing information concerning the dangers of nut allergies.
Restaurant proprietors and managers would receive copies of the fact sheet, and would be required to inform their employees of the use of peanut products in food preparation.
Restaurants found violating the law would be subject to fines of up to $250. The measure would also authorize local health agencies to conduct health inspections of restaurants and municipalities to enforce the bill’s provisions.”
“The purpose of this measure is to make restaurants aware of the dangers of nut allergies,”said Senator Coniglio, D-Bergen. “Nut allergy sufferers can die if they are even exposed to peanuts and other nut products. This is an example of restaurants having their patrons’ best interests in mind.”