Scroll Top

Rice Explains The Need For Seniors To File For Their Property Tax Rebate

NEWARK – Senator Ronald L. Rice announced today that his district office will be available to help seniors and disabled residents who are required to file applications in order to receive the FAIR property tax rebate this year.

“With property taxes so high in New Jersey, it is important for those senior citizens and the disabled who qualify for rebate checks receives them,” said Senator Rice, D-Essex. “There are new regulations in place this years, that require residents to apply to the Department of Treasury in order to receive their rebates.”

Applications for the FAIR rebate, a new State program offered in lieu of the NJ SAVER and Homestead property tax rebates, were mailed out between April 26 and May 3 by the Department of Treasury, and are due back by June 1, 2005. According to the Treasury Department, the checks will arrive in the mail in early to mid-August, the same time the Homestead rebate checks would have traditionally been sent out to property taxpayers.

Senator Rice noted that due to the merging of the two property tax relief programs, seniors and disabled residents must file an application to be eligible for relief this year.

“Given the fact that these residents did not have to file applications for eligibility in the Homestead rebate program in previous years, there may be confusion among residents as to the application process,” Senator Rice added.

“I want to inform my constituents of the new guidelines in order to ensure that those who qualify will receive their rebates,” said Senator Rice. “My staff will be available to help answer question about the new regulation.”

According to Senator Rice, to be eligible for the FAIR rebate, seniors and disabled New Jerseyans must have owned and occupied a home in New Jersey as their primary residence since October 1, 2004. They must also have a gross income under the threshold of $200,000 and their home must be subject to local property taxes.

Applications can be filed online at, of by phone at (877) 658-2972. State residents can call (888) 238-1233 to ask questions of the State Department of Treasury, or if they would like assistance from the Senator Rice’s district office, they can call (973) 371-5665. The Senator’s office is located at 1044 South Orange Avenue in Newark.

Leave a comment